Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A recipe

Yesterday the kids discovered a mango tree in our 'yard'  (if you've seen our house here you can laugh).   With the mangos they are picking and then some left from the morning the group left that Dan, Rod and I picked in their friends yard.....I needed something to do with a ton of mangos.  So I did some searches for mango bread......and we are huge fans now!  Even our Honduran friends like it a lot.  It's so yummy...a spice bread type
Here is the recipe I used....except that I had to do some tweaking - of course!!

MANGO BREAD
2 cup ap flour
2 t cinnamon
2 t baking soda (I used 4 t baking powder)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup oil (I just melted some manteca/shortening)
2 1/2 cups mango
1 t lemon juice (we have a lemon tree too so I just squeezed some in)
1/4 c raisins (sadly didn't have any of these, but wow they would taste good!!)

I added vanilla...maybe about a tsp....I don't know.  Mix all ingredients together.
I greased and floured the pans and then poured the batter in about halfway.  I then sprinkled some raw sugar on top!
 bake at 350 degrees for about 60 min (mine didn't take near that long, but my oven doesn't have a thermostat or anything I just cook it til it's done...but 60 min is what the recipe called for).  
Makes about two loaf pans.  I made 5 small loaves so I could share as gifts.  


(PS the first crew of the group is home....the 2nd is enroute in a van about 2 hours from home!! HOORAY!!  Saying prayers of thanks!!)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Rachel, when choosing a good Mango, what do you look for? The bread recipe sounds delicious. I think I'll have to try it.
I have my girl sitting her next to me. Feels pretty good!
Kendra

Pablo y Raquel said...

oh...give her a big hug from us!!!!
Well hmm...depends on the variety so I don't know what you might have there. Most likely though you don't want green. For the bread I go with (like when I do banana bread) an overripe mango...which means here orange and super soft.
The variety we have at home in the stores a ripe one would mean that it was a pretty red and yellow. There are so many varieties though so I'm not sure this is helpful. You do not want it to be super hard. Nor mushy...hmm....like a banana. If it's mushy it's too ripe but if it's hard it's not ripe enough. Just a nice softness to it. UGH I'm not very good at this I don't think...ha ha...SORRY!! :-)

Unknown said...

Well now I already know more about Mangos than I did before I read this. I just assumed a mango was a mango... Variety??? I have no idea what we have. I'll stick to the banana comparison. Can't wait to use the recipe. I love mango anything!

I passed the hug onto Amanda. She grinned really big and says hello:-)

Olancho Bound Gringa said...

My 1st visit to your blog. Just had to stop by & check out your recipe for Mango Bread. I WILL be making this tomorrow. Sounds so yummy! Thanks!

Pablo y Raquel said...

Oh you'll have to let me know how it turns out OB Gringa! Glad you stopped by!!

Patty said...

Rachel, if you run out of ideas, anything you can do with a peach you can do with a mango, even make pickles, if you can find the right spices. You don't even have to modify the recipe, just substitute.
A mango is ripe when it has a nice fruity smell and is soft. Sometimes color is not a good indicator. It depends on the type mango.

I wish I was there. We would get out the canning jars and set up a production line.