Friday, July 24, 2009

A huge success!

I just got home from the food sale...and it's a huge success! I can't wait to hear how much money they made!!  Parents are coming in continuously with pots of all different food.  Even my cab driver, Juan, was going to get a plate.  It's very cheap for here (30L per plate)  and the plate is COVERED in food....and there are so many choices:  Spaghetti, fried fish, pork, fish in coconut milk with plantanos, arroz con pollo, potato salad, vegetables, etc etc...mine was the only sweet...(not a surprise, but it's what I do so I stuck with it)!  But the cupcakes and mini-cakes were sold within about 10 min of our arrival, so I was excited to be able to help.  Although I think the staff was pretty shocked we walked up with something for them to sale too!!   They were very appreciative.  

The kids had fun running around and playing in the central park and I enjoyed visiting with other parents and employees of the school. It was half school employees and half parents working the sale, but the student's parents had provided EVERYTHING...foil, bags, forks, napkins, sodas, etc etc....and were still coming which is good because there was a steady stream of customers!!  

UPDATE on Chad and Nadine: they made it to La Ceiba but the bus station was closed because of all the roadblocks.  So after weighing their options they hired a cab and are enroute to Trujillo by way of private cab!!  They should be here in  couple hours!!!!  HOORAY!!  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Was this a bake sale for the School?

Patty said...

Rachel, Are you doing anything but eating while you are there? I know you are not ready to come home yet. When you have the kids write their essay on 'what I did on my summer vacation' you should post it. They have had an outstanding time, not only witnessing to their friends, but witnessing history made.