Saturday, July 4, 2009

Reality Check - don't read if you have a weak stomach (like myself)

Okay so here is REAL life in Trujillo - it hasn't rained for....well too long....

so tonight we go to jump in the shower before we crawl in bed....no water.

it's 1am...why am I awake when I have to be up at 4am?  My daughter just started puking (a bug that our friend Sara woke up with this morning so we kept her 4 sweet kids today so her hubby could do some much needed work)...'delightfully' she didn't make it to the potty and proceeded to puke all over the bathroom floor in our bathroom...which is in our bedroom....which we all 4 sleep in....
Thad and I just stared at it.....then my precious husband scooped/scrubbed it up with a towel.  He decided to just throw the towel away.  We haven't been able to wash clothes in days so who knows when we can wash the towel and where on earth will we keep it til we might could wash it??  

Then....what to do???  So with no water, we use the bucket we have that our A/C unit drips into (that's right, we have a window unit...inside on an interior wall..hmm....ANOTHER story for another day)  to throw on the floor to at least try to dissipate the smell a bit so we might can sleep...but we can't use much...it's the only water we have for handwashing, dishwashing, etc etc...it's a precious commodity at this point!!  
So the bathroom floor is far from sterile and we are giggling...I mean really what else are you going to do at 1am??  

Then....as we start to settle back down and climb back into bed. oh...and try to find something for her to have by her bed if she gets sick again...we only have little trashcans in our bathrooms. in our house and since you can't flush toilet paper in Honduras....that's the toilet paper bin and well.....even if I removed the bag, I couldn't bring myself to give that to her to hold onto and puke in.   (I tried to warn you in the title if you had a weak stomach...sorry it truly is our reality though).  She though assures us she is "FINE" now.....

ANYWAY...so we settle back down into our bed and my son totally unaware of anything that's occurred wakes and stands to take a midnight potty break..BAREFOOT of course....aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.....so we jump up to stop him and scare him completely.  But got him stopped before he just walked in there unknowingly.....

As he sat back on his bed after, he said "are you done making b'fast for the team yet?"  ha ha ha....we assured him we have 3 hours, he could go back to sleep....

We, on the other hand are wide awake and I'm thinking someone else will need to cut the fruit, etc....I don't think the families in Washington would appreciate their loved ones coming home with this bug......

SORRY SORRY SORRY in advance......................................................

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh, the fun of puking kids. I hope it's a really short lived thing and you can all get some rest.

You may have already found it but here is the link to the tv video news segment. They even show your blog:-) http://www.kndu.com/global/story.asp?s=10642647

Thank you Raquel for taking care of our kiddos and us parents. I feel a little bit as if I know you and your family now and will miss these daily updates. I will certainly be keeping updated on the work there and am really feeling inspired to become more involved.
Thank you again!

Kendra Koopman

Pablo y Raquel said...

Hey Kendra, We look forward to seeing the video. Our internet here isn't fast enough for streaming media. I hope we can still get to the link when we get home in a few weeks. And we hope you will continue to follow along on our blog. We will continue to update it as long as we are here. It's always comforting to know that people are following along with us.

Thanks, Pablo