Friday, July 31, 2009


The other day we were invited to be guests at a party that was to be Saturday night.  They weren't sure where yet, but would let us know.  The party was to be a combined baby shower/retirement party for 2 of the school's staff members.  
The Honduran gov't will no longer allow teachers to have contracts with a private school if they have already retired from the public school system.  So Maria Teresa is retiring.  
Angelina is expecting a baby in Sept.  So it was to be a celebration honoring both.  Apparently they liked my cupcakes and mini-cakes I made for the food sale and I was asked to make the cakes.  No problem I'd have plenty of time to scour the city for the right ingredients.  
Yesterday I worked in the school all morning. We were working to finish the art projects and then I helped haul the lumber from the ceiling project back inside after being sprayed with diesel and bleach to ward off pests.   So I was getting pretty icky.  
One of the girls from the school came up to me and asked me if I was going to the dinner at Maria Teresa's house later and I told her I didn't know what she was talking about....we had been told one of 2 other teacher's homes...I figured this was a private gathering not the same so I kept working.
then a teacher came up and said 'do you know that the celebration is tonight?'  WHAT???   NO!!!   aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

And I realized how insanely thankful I am for my 'things' in the states I take for granted....

* mixers
* sifters
* grocery stores less than 5 min away
* when I go to a grocery store I know that I will find what I need and it will be well organized
* cake pans
* BOWLS!!  (I only have 1 here)
* my oven (my oven here is small, doesn't have a center rack and during baking the rack must        be shifted and the bake good shifted so that it cooks evenly and you have no way of knowing   
   the temperature)
* drawers filled with kitchen utensils
* food coloring, cake decorating tips
* water....when you don't have any it means you can't wash the dishes and that means......FRUIT    FLIES 
* and more....you just don't realize when you're dreaming of that double oven or you are wishing for the nicest kitchen aide....that you have it SOOOO good already.  Well I don't always anyway!  

But you know what, even without all the conveniences I have in the states, the cakes turned out fine.  I put a ducky with bubbles on one and an apple on the other.  The party was fantastic...food amazing (grilled chicken, sausage, chimole, refried beans, enchiladas, tortillas).  So as much as I wish I had some things like a mixer, I don't really HAVE to have one.  Life is simpler and I learn to appreciate so much more the many LUXURIES  I have in the states!!    


No comments: