Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Don't mess with that Gringo!


Carnival will be this Saturday in Trujillo....a time to avoid downtown, as the city will filled with people and music and bands and such will go on all night.  But it also brings along with it game booths, vendors, etc that always set up a little early.  We met Emilson and his family downtown the other night and ate baleadas (handmade flour tortillas with beans, cheese, etc) and watched fireworks, ate ice cream and wondered around some of the booths.  One of the games was a target shooting.  They had BB guns and on shelves were all sorts of little army men figures.  Lots of men and boys were lined up to play this game and were working hard to shoot down the little figures.  We passed it once and watched a bit.   As we walked by again later Alfonso, very kindly, asked John Mark if he wanted to try.   John Mark was pretty excited when Alfonso (my other son as Eda says) paid the guy so he could have a chance.  I think everyone was watching the gringo kid laughing. 10 limps gets you 4 shots.  And John Mark made every shot, knocking 3 men over and the other he hit, but it wobbled!  It was hysterical watching the people around.  Everyone was cheering by the 3rd shot!  Alfonso and Emilson heard one kid that was standing near them say "wow, if you see that gringo on the street with a gun** you better run the other way"  hee hee!!  So now all of Trujillo knows that John Mark is not to be messed with!   Our friends reactions were great.  They were all pretty impressed and surprised!!   John Mark was thrilled and my favorite of all was MaryKyle who went RUNNING over to her brother and wrapped her arms around him with an "AWESOME!!"    


**insert name of some automatic weapon here.  I just am totally female and if I attempted to write what I think I remember the kid said I'd make a fool of myself!! 

1 comment:

Temple & Reuben said...

That is AWESOME! And hilarious! Glad to know you have a body guard in JohnMark! I was also a good shot the one time I went target practicing. Must run in the family.