Friday, June 27, 2008

The Gang's All Here

- by Pablo

Everyone from the West Metro group is now here in La Ceiba safe and sound. Also, all of their luggage is here. (One piece of our luggage is still in limbo between Atlanta and San Pedro.) The best story for today is about our van. It is a 15 passenger Hyundai with a 4 cylinder diesel engine and 5 speed transmission. This type of van is very common here. Toyota and Nissan make similar models. The one we got has about 60K miles on it, but they have been very hard miles. When I did the walk-around with the lady from the rental company, she was marking on her paper all of the places on the van with scratches, dents, chipped glass, broken tail-light covers, etc. Finally, I said "todos," which means "all." She smiled only a little at my joke. In the end, appoximately 13 of the 15 or so boxes were checked indicating some form of cosmetic damage. I keep the accelerator to the floor 95% of the time, and we still travel at a safe speed, although the speedometer always says we're going between 120 and 140 km/hour. But I like the van alot because it has given us the best laugh of the day so far. Here is the photographic testimony.


Our group at dinner

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!
Rachel...it is 2:00 am....I miss talking to you on email! No one else is awake to talk to me! ha ha! We are so glad you are settling in okay...have to admit we were a bit worried for you about the stove and refrigerator issue,,,but as usual God provides!

We are praying every day that God puts you all to good use every minute you are there! The kids miss JM and MK...ask often when they are coming back! VBS was wonderful but we missed you and the kids!

FYI..Jeff resigned from his job today and accepted the new one-can you believe it! So lots of changes in store for him (and us). But it seems like an amazing opportunity. He is really excited about it..if a bit nervous as well!

The boys asked when we would start school today! I guess they figure vacation and VBS are over..might as well get to work on school! I loved all the info on Trujillo that you put on the blog..I never knew it had such a fascinating history!

Okay...I know you can't email me back immediately like usual, Rachel, so I will try to be content to wait for the next blog!

Love and prayers,
Quayla

Anonymous said...

It does a momma and daddy good to be able to see our baby so far away. Thanks for all you are doing and we look forward to hearing about your next adventure.

Anonymous said...

She acts that way at home, too :).

Just kidding -- please tell my precious bride that i love her and miss her terribly!

Ricky

Anonymous said...

Cole,

Get your elbows off the table ... :)

I love you, son. Have a great time!

Dad

Anonymous said...

So, can we have an official list of who all is with you? I don't think I've ever seen all the names and I was shocked and THRILLED to see Clayton right in front! (Hey Clayton!!)
I realize that by the time you have time to respond, they will be gone... :) oh well!
We will pray for you all daily!
Much love...

Anonymous said...

Ok... maybe I should stop posting comments... I just found the list... going to bed now...

:/

Anonymous said...

the team i travel with the honduras usually gets stuck with the same van from san pedro sula! i remember the first time the door fell off...we were all shocked and didn't know what to do...now it's just expected!!! let me guess...the front passenger door gets stuck all the time? they keep telling us they're getting new vans...i'll believe it when i see it! :)

Anonymous said...

Howdy!

So glad you all arrived safe and sound! Know I love you and am praying for all of you!

Thanks for the picutres.
With you in Spirit.....

elena

Anonymous said...

This blog is amazing. It is so good to see that everyone arrived safely. Good luck and God bless.

P.S. Rachel - I sure love the spanish translation of your name.. haha! :)

Raquel Brown

Anonymous said...

Hello! I've been enjoying the blog posts; thanks for the updates! I feel certain Greeley will be arriving this week - since the seal on our basement freezer apparently failed sometime in the last 24 hours and this afternoon I discovered water all over the basement floor from where it had defrosted. Going to have to toss a chunk of the 50 or so meals I have frozen in there. Then, just a little while ago, our downstairs bathroom commode clogged and overflowed enough water to create puddles in the basement below. We can't seem to have a baby without needing to file a homeowners claim first. I told Brian this is surely a sign he'll arrive by Thursday (last time, our kitchen flooded on Sunday night from the refrigerator water line and Holland arrived on Thursday)!

Love you and we'll update you when we have something to update on.
LB